Skip to main content

Saturday Evening Post

Where did the time go?
The week has flown by as if to say it was merely a result of my imagination. It seems the older that I get the faster the days, weeks, months and years go past as if I am only dreaming the days events. Six months ago I left my husband, now I don't actually remember what he looks like. I remember what the first two look like, our wedding dates and one of their birthdays. Those little details I cannot remember for this one; I supposed it could be because I never actually cared.

Yes, I am aware that it is strange to spend so many years with someone that you do not love, care about or like. I am not sure what possessed me to stay with him; fear of the unknown perhaps? I am going to chalk it up to a mistake lived and learned from so that I can move on to the next phase of my life.

We had moved twice in a six month time span. Part of it was isolation beginning to get to us. The other part was fear that he would find us. He is not a smart man but he is dangerous, letting a bottle of whiskey think for you is not the best solution but that is what he would do. I cannot count the times that my budget was thrown into a tailspin because of the cost associated with what has to be the nastiest whiskey on the planet.

I am not aiming to create a post bashing the man so I believe that not discussing him any further would be best. He is a chapter of my life that is being filed under mistakes and closed.

The baby is growing up so fast it is making my head spin. The last two weeks have seen progress achieved were it had been lost and the smile is returning to her face. My beautiful, empathetic child is enjoying being a child without the constraints of therapy each day after school but she still misses her favorite therapist. I am not sure of her feelings for the school but she is much happier each morning and each evening when she returns.

I have adjusted to the recent changes rather well if I do say so myself. I am making appointments for myself and when the weather is bright and sunny I am driving myself on the nice flat land without difficulty. I am pricing items for the move into my apartment because furniture is something that I am sure to need if I'd like to sit somewhere besides the floor. There is a stove and refrigerator in place and a laundromat on site. The cost to wash is $1 and drying is seventy-five cents but I have to large drying racks that eliminate the need for them. The bathroom has a towel rack, shower rod and rails all around to hang up small items to ensure nothing wet ends up in the laundry basket.

I am looking forward to the larger space, and we already have a bed for the baby. She is going to be thrilled to have room to run around until we get the place fully furnished. My television is first on the list of items to replace.


Take a look around and you will notice that the flash fiction is back. Hope your week was a good one, be sure to take the time to stop and appreciate the little things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

C is for Calm

It's been so long that I'm not sure what it is anymore but I think I'm beginning to find calm. It is the feeling that allows you to find contentment in the smallest things. It does not have to be something major, it can be something as simple as a gentle breeze. There are a number of things that have a calming effect; I look forward to being able to do them. What are they? I'll tell you in no particular order. Walking on the beach. Drinking a beer by a bonfire. Sitting in front of a fireplace. Reading a book. Spending time alone just thinking or writing just to write. Calm is a nice feeling, and one that has been missed the last few years. Slowly it is returning that is why C is for calm.

Flash in the Pan Playing Along Still

The pages were bent and ragged from years of use, covers worn out from hands rubbing over them. There were bowls everywhere, the oven was still hot. She tasted it again, something wasn’t right. It was sweet, tangy but not right. What was missing? She scanned the room again to see. Onions maybe? No, but what could it be? She hit her head on the cabinet. A pepper that was it!