Skip to main content

Saturday Evening Post

The weather this week requires something hot and strong to cope with. Sit back, grab a blanket and a hot drink. The wind is like ice.

This week was one of realizations, and once again among them is that we can take care of ourselves. I may be in a strange place surrounded by virtual strangers but I can take care of us. We are just outside of town in a small apartment complex. The apartment is one bedroom.

We manage nicely, and I gave the kid the bedroom while I took the couch. (Soon I will be getting her a smaller bed, and getting myself one that doubles as a couch instead of being the couch.)

We began the practice of walking to the store instead of having someone drive us. Our feet are far more reliable than those we would take us; it is better if we do it on our own. 

The weather is not looking as if it will permit another walk to the store as I had hoped. We were supposed to go today to allow the baby to get out the house but I am afraid that we cannot bundle up enough to make the trip. 

I learned that even with a car (it is less stressful not to have one since I do not drive most days because of nerves) that we can get exactly where we need to go. It is making me consider looking for a place in town so that the stores and school are closer to us. I can walk to more stores if we move into town, and possibly walk her to the park.

We order things for delivery as much as we can to ensure that we do not run out of vital things. It helps to ensure that we are not toting as much on our walks as well.

I intend to lose fifty pounds this year, and these walks while enjoyable for both of us will help me achieve that goal.

Doctor's Visit

I went to the doctor yesterday. When I left I got an antibiotic because my sinuses were draining into my lungs. I will go back next week to get the results of the routine tests that they ran. 

Unless the weather warms drastically, I will be waiting until I am well to take another walk to the store.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

C is for Calm

It's been so long that I'm not sure what it is anymore but I think I'm beginning to find calm. It is the feeling that allows you to find contentment in the smallest things. It does not have to be something major, it can be something as simple as a gentle breeze. There are a number of things that have a calming effect; I look forward to being able to do them. What are they? I'll tell you in no particular order. Walking on the beach. Drinking a beer by a bonfire. Sitting in front of a fireplace. Reading a book. Spending time alone just thinking or writing just to write. Calm is a nice feeling, and one that has been missed the last few years. Slowly it is returning that is why C is for calm.

Flash in the Pan Playing Along Still

The pages were bent and ragged from years of use, covers worn out from hands rubbing over them. There were bowls everywhere, the oven was still hot. She tasted it again, something wasn’t right. It was sweet, tangy but not right. What was missing? She scanned the room again to see. Onions maybe? No, but what could it be? She hit her head on the cabinet. A pepper that was it!