Skip to main content

Saturday Evening Post

This is where I wrap it up into a not so neat little package. A lot is weighing on my mind right now, and it seems that if I do not get it out I may lose what's left of my mind. Sit back and enjoy the ride with me.

We are a household of two now, and we're learning how to work together to get everything done. It is not that we are lazy, but we do enjoy putting things on the back burner to have fun. 

You see my household for those of you that do not know consists of just me and my autistic eight year old daughter.  Shorty is the term of affection that I and those closest to me use for her. The rest of the word calls her by her given name. 

There is a reason she is known as Shorty. You see for the longest time she was shorter than all the other children her age causing people to mistake her for much younger than her years. It stuck, and now she answers to it. 

We have come a long way in her eight years. There were times when I felt as though I was alone in achieving her progress even though I had a team of therapists that would go to the ends of the Earth to help her. I did not have true support outside of the therapist office. The only ones that understood were those with autistic children, my family was not among those that understood.

Every decision was questioned, and not in a good way but more in a way to attempt to make me feel guilty for making it.  I was upset at first but then I realized they weren't living it. It was our life, and we would manage as best we could.

We're still standing and Shorty is continually making progress. I still worry about her but I see more glimmers of hope than ever before as we stumble through this life together.

Until next time, I will stand autism strong and proud of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

C is for Calm

It's been so long that I'm not sure what it is anymore but I think I'm beginning to find calm. It is the feeling that allows you to find contentment in the smallest things. It does not have to be something major, it can be something as simple as a gentle breeze. There are a number of things that have a calming effect; I look forward to being able to do them. What are they? I'll tell you in no particular order. Walking on the beach. Drinking a beer by a bonfire. Sitting in front of a fireplace. Reading a book. Spending time alone just thinking or writing just to write. Calm is a nice feeling, and one that has been missed the last few years. Slowly it is returning that is why C is for calm.

Flash in the Pan Playing Along Still

The pages were bent and ragged from years of use, covers worn out from hands rubbing over them. There were bowls everywhere, the oven was still hot. She tasted it again, something wasn’t right. It was sweet, tangy but not right. What was missing? She scanned the room again to see. Onions maybe? No, but what could it be? She hit her head on the cabinet. A pepper that was it!