Skip to main content

A is for Anxiety

Yes, you read that right. A is for Anxiety. I have experienced a lot of it in recent years. It was not until a few short months ago that I realized there was a valid reason for it. What happened?

A friend persuaded me to go down to the local mental health clinic. It tuns out that I not only have panic disorder but PTSD. I am not crazy as some people would have had me believe through the years. I am reacting normally to life as it was thrown at me.

The irrational fears that have cropped up through the years were actually rational. I am now working to rid myself of the anxiety. A divorce will go a long way in the relief because as it turns out when I look back my nerves were the worse that they had been in almost a decade with the man that I left.

Things are going well now. There have been some changes since I left my husband that are making my nerves slightly better. The majority of the last six months were spent on a mountain top and I only drove once during that time. In the city I was fine, the ice on the interstate triggered my nerves. This is normal.

I am no longer fighting the anxiety, but embracing it. I take my medication as prescribed and even go out to the store to shop with the kid. The shopping is doing her a world of good. The other day the anxiety was reduced enough that I walked the single block from the court house to the park.


That is why A is for anxiety.  

Comments

Anonymous said…
I've never been diagnosed but after my husband returned from Iraq he had materials explain PTSD. I had almost every symptom. I worked through my issues on my own and it inspired me to write a book to teach others how to manage PTSD and anxiety. I'm getting ready to query to agents with the hope it will be published one day. Good luck in dealing with your symptoms. They can be difficult at times. Hang in there on the rough days.
Laurie said…
Thank you. Managing it is the hardest part, your book is needed.

Popular posts from this blog