Skip to main content

Setting Goals


Recent turmoil with my finances caused me to have to re-evaluate my financial goals and needs. The computer tore up putting me out of work for two weeks, the brakes went out on the car I was driving and the well is having issues. I realized too late that I was broker than I thought since I had recently closed my savings account. I need $50 to reopen it. That sounds like a small amount but there are children expecting Christmas. So what am I going to do?

I have been boiling water to dissolve the rest of my homemade laundry detergent in the kitchen sink in order to watch my child’s school uniforms. She has just enough to get her through the four day week she goes until Nanna gives her Christmas which includes more uniforms for school. I am trying to cut down on my utility bill so that we come up under budget next October when the settle up bill is due. The current budget amount is $245 a month which is what the average utility bill ran during the last year. So far this household is just over $96 under budget which is a good way to start the new budget billing year, however there are some problems with this scenario as last year the first light bill of the new year (2011) was over $400 and the settle up bill was over $400 as well because that was not the only high bill that we received.

I have begun to turn the television off in the living room while I work and everyone goes into another room to watch a smaller television set. The heat is not working as well as I would like. I woke up one morning to find we had a freeze and it was barely fifty degrees in my house with the heat on and working as hard as it could work to help make up for it to no avail. That means that I have to find an alternative heating source or find someone to fix the duct work. I do not have a few thousand dollars lying around so a safe alternative is in my future. I am glad that I purchased a new battery for my lap top so that I am no longer connected to power all day long. The portable device means no separate power for the modem so that is a tiny bit less electricity used, if only it would use solar power to charge I could work outside.

What were the goals that I set this time?
1. $50 and reopen the savings account.
2. stop spending small change and place it in my change jar to place into the savings account when it is full.
3. replace my Rodeo with something smaller and more economical. (Gas is over $3 a gallon and it only gets 15 miles to the gallon.)
4. Buy some clothes that don’t make me look homeless in the event that I am forced back out into the real world as it is known to work.

Well, that’s all for now. I have articles demanding that I write them so I’m going to go get back to it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

C is for Calm

It's been so long that I'm not sure what it is anymore but I think I'm beginning to find calm. It is the feeling that allows you to find contentment in the smallest things. It does not have to be something major, it can be something as simple as a gentle breeze. There are a number of things that have a calming effect; I look forward to being able to do them. What are they? I'll tell you in no particular order. Walking on the beach. Drinking a beer by a bonfire. Sitting in front of a fireplace. Reading a book. Spending time alone just thinking or writing just to write. Calm is a nice feeling, and one that has been missed the last few years. Slowly it is returning that is why C is for calm.