Skip to main content

E is for Elimination

Elimination is the act of removing someone or something that is not important. You can ignore it, throw it away or divorce it. There are laws against burying it in the backyard. What? There are. Eliminating items and people from your life has its benefits.

This is a lesson that I am doomed to repeat on numerous occasions; hopefully this is the last time. In September I moved with two backpacks of things that made no sense to anyone but me. I left everything that I had worked so hard to replace and started over with my youngest child.

The change was not without help and support but it was a rough one. It had not been planned but forced, and the time spent without my husband had brought a lot of things to light that would not have come to light with him in my home. (I hope he is enjoying it, summer will be here soon and he won't have a paycheck.)

Someone recently told me something in the course of conversation that made me think. It was something they had told someone that had put them in a similar position; “if you can live with it, I can live without it.” It made me think about a few things.

Not the first time

This is not the first time I have left somewhere with less than a quarter of what I own and started over. What made this time different? It wasn't just my things that were left behind; my youngest daughter made a large sacrifice this time. It dawned on me that my biggest problem was that I had to leave her things behind and our beloved pets.

Had it merely been me replacing everything would not have stung; it would have been a tradeoff. Give up material possessions to get away from a violent drunk that I never should have been with in the first place. Eliminating him from my life is something that I will never regret. I should never have been with him; had I not been in a desperate situation to begin with I never would have been. Leaving him was merely correctly a mistake I never should have made.

Clarity

Elimination of the things that cause stress is one of the best ways to achieve clarity. I am almost there. I am determined that this time the lesson will not be one that is to be repeated in a few short years.


In the meantime the determination of what is a need and want is becoming easier to make. Until next time I hope that the things that are eliminated from your life are the best and not the worse.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

C is for Calm

It's been so long that I'm not sure what it is anymore but I think I'm beginning to find calm. It is the feeling that allows you to find contentment in the smallest things. It does not have to be something major, it can be something as simple as a gentle breeze. There are a number of things that have a calming effect; I look forward to being able to do them. What are they? I'll tell you in no particular order. Walking on the beach. Drinking a beer by a bonfire. Sitting in front of a fireplace. Reading a book. Spending time alone just thinking or writing just to write. Calm is a nice feeling, and one that has been missed the last few years. Slowly it is returning that is why C is for calm.

Flash in the Pan Playing Along Still

The pages were bent and ragged from years of use, covers worn out from hands rubbing over them. There were bowls everywhere, the oven was still hot. She tasted it again, something wasn’t right. It was sweet, tangy but not right. What was missing? She scanned the room again to see. Onions maybe? No, but what could it be? She hit her head on the cabinet. A pepper that was it!